So, has anybody else here seen the movie Clockwork Orange? It has become my favorite movie of all times, throughout the years. With that said, I probably saw it far too young for anybody to embark on such a graphic and tortured work. Sure, there is a lot of lewd scenes and tough-to-crack characters, what keeps me captivated is the essence of it. There is this dystopian aesthetic that is deeply rooted in the plot, but doesn't come off overbearing. I can seriously begin to draw a parallel between this and what I have just read.
I wouldn’t say this book is going to be for everybody, but for me, this is a quantum leap forward from what we just did for Eleanor and Park. First off, I would like to talk about the bizarre prose of the characters. Just like in “Clockwork,” (and maybe even like Orwell’s novels?) they have their own futuristic speak. I have always found it interesting when an author does this. The English language can be used as a malleable way to really pull the reader into their world. The angst that Unit gets when his feed is pure mal, the infinitely shallow sadness he expresses when he thinks about how Loga and himself are no longer a diad. Just, wow. It moves me more than some of the more expressive poetry I have heard!
The characters are all carved out very well. I can say Violet is definitely the most dynamic of the crew. However, the way that Quendy and Calista behave at the beginning proves to be an excellent foil. The despondency of messaging each other face-to-face doesn’t transfer easily to the new inductee, and I found this to be the first revealing moment for who Violet could actually be. Hopefully as I read more, her true colors prove me correct!
Glad to find another Feed enthusiast. I also thought that the characters were interesting in how they had no character, all of them essentially behaving like little clones of everyone else (violet excluded).
ReplyDeleteI have definitely heard, if not seen, The Clockwork Orange and am interested in knowing more about the parallels you find.
ReplyDelete