Thursday, February 23, 2017

American Born Chinese 1

There is definitely more to this novel than goofy comics. Even though that is what keeps this interesting to read. The tale of second-generation immigrants could normally be a harrowing and serious story to tell. However, this adds a very fresh, almost modernized spin on the story of immigration and assimilation to American culture.
Although I can analyze the text like any other blogpost I have done, the sketches are JUST as important in this case. The artwork, like the picture I attached, is very appealing to me. It gives a traditional Chinese art vibe, mixed with an urban feel that a Gorillaz album or Comme Des Garcons lookbook would give aesthetically. Even the downtrodden shots like Jin with a new perm are just eye popping.
My only huge complaint, is that I really cannot relate to the struggles and issues that (especially) The Monkey King and the others face. However, it is still a very colorful, and unique read.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the artwork is fabulous and the story does seem rather abstract sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you I thought the author did a fabulous job in the illustrations. Overall I thought ABC was a nice book and I believe many students who haven't felt accepted can relate to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The illustrations where well drawn and definitely gave you somethings to think about. I really didnt even speak about them though, its interesting that you brought them up and made me really look at them.

    ReplyDelete