Thursday, February 16, 2017

Brown Girl Dreaming

Just, wow. Let me start this with, how amazing the prose of this strange novel is. The verse format of the authors poetic writing just adds to the story itself so much. These kinds of historic novels can feel a bit dusty, judging by what I have read in the past. This never lets up as a very enjoyable read. The chapters twist and turn, sometimes just a few simple yet hard-hitting lines on a page. This helps portray a culture that I really don't relate to at many points as something I can grasp on an artistic level.

And it isn't that I don't want to relate, but this is a culture so disconnected from what I have experienced. I am fortunate enough to be able to befriend who I want, know who I know. I don't usually think about such priveleges, but the way the author exposes the emotional pain that comes with living in a segregated community had me thinking.

4 comments:

  1. The verse novel is definitely different to anything we've read in this class but I have to say its working pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read anything like it, but I like it. It really conveys the everything she is trying to get across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the author is telling her life story through this book, and you see through her writing how passionate she is about her career. I loved this story, and it is crazy to think the civil right movement was not to long ago, and something my grandparents and great parents were alive to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the author is telling her life story through this book, and you see through her writing how passionate she is about her career. I loved this story, and it is crazy to think the civil right movement was not to long ago, and something my grandparents and great parents were alive to see.

    ReplyDelete