So far, this book has not done much for me. Mostly, because I simply cannot relate, or at least not anymore. Sure, bullying is an issue for many people. I am very empathetic towards that. With that said, I am really not trying to pump my chest out when I say I can't relate, because I simply don't feel bullied. If I did, it was a very long time ago.
At first, the story seemed much less surreal. "Ok, there are two kids in a rundown school, one of them has a huge issue with the other..." This almost sounded akin to my Middle School experience and friends causing drama with one another. Now, all of the drama in the book is so encapsulating and extropalated that it doesn't seem like it could be any real scenario. Not that this is a bad thing, sometimes the cartoonish nature of the text is the only thing that keeps me interested.
At first I thought I was unable to relate but as I read further into the book it started to remind me of my middle school days.
ReplyDeleteInteresting that you both pointed to middle school yet the characters are in high school. I agree about the middle school point, too.
ReplyDelete